Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
27th April 1962 Arnold Wesker's Chips with Everything, premieres in London
27th April 1959 Born today: Marco Pirroni, London, rock guitarist (Adam and The Ants)
27th April 1943 Soviet Union breaks contact with Polish government exiled in London
27th April 1922 Born today: Daphne Anderson, London, actress (Beggar's Opera, Hobson's Choice)
27th April 1908 4th modern Olympic games opens in London
27th April 1828 Zoological Gardens at Regent's Park London, opens
The Shady Old Lady's Latest News & Updates
1. Eastender and Comedian Mike Reid would have been 72 today. Does anyone know where exactly he was born in Hackney, or lived, or where he lived when his family moved to Tottenham or Ruislip?
2. Does anyone know where acrtess Dame Maggie Smith was born in Ilford in 1934?
3. Anyone got any knowledge about the birthplace of Hollywood legend Millicent Martin? She starred in Alfie with Michael Caine. We know it was Ilford, but anyone know a specific house?
4. Dudley Moore was brought up in Dagenham in East London - does anyone whereabouts?
5. Does anyone know whereabouts on Lower Sloane Street madcap comedian and DJ Kenny Everett had his flat? Or indeed which house on Holland Road, Holland Park that he set up home in when he first got married?
6. One of the most famous Two Ronnies sketches, Fork Handles, was inspired by Ronnie Barker's visit to a hardware shop in Hayes, out in North West London. Does anyone know which one it might have been?
7. Actor Peter Arne was murdered in August 1983 in his flat in Hans Place, Knightsbridge. But does anyone know which flat/building it was?
8. In Ronnie Barker's autobiography he makes reference to a pad that Sean Connery and fellow Scot actor Ian McNaughton had in Camden circa 1974-1975. Ronnie Barker and his then fiance had 2 new year's eve parties there. Can anyone identify where this was?
9. Ronnie Barker and his family moved from Bedford to a flat in York Road, Ilford which backed on to the railway line. Does anyone know which one? Also, Ronnie Barker lived in Hampstead Hill Gardens in 1956-57, does anyone which house?
10. Actor and comedian Bernard Bresslaw and his family lived in Mile End, on Eric Street near the tube station. Does anyone know which house?
11. Where on Queens Gate Terrace did comedian Tony Hancock live? 1955-ish.
12. What happened to the ornate Victorian public lavatory opposite Brompton Oratory?
13. Does anyone know where exactly that racing legends Nikki Lauda and James Hunt shared a flat? Early in their careers they shared a flat in London - any ideas where?
14. Author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams lived at two locations in London - Duncan Terrace and Upper Street, both in Islington. But can anyone pinpoint where on these streets, so we can include them?
Any more conundrums send them in to the usual address...